What We Are Learning: June 2021
In June, we will conclude our 3rd grade units of study in all academic areas.
- How can we find the perimeter and area of shapes?
- We will continue our reading unit on poetry!
- What is the culture of Peru, Egypt and Nigeria?
- How do writers write persuasive essays?
- How can writers raise awareness about water-related issues?
Supporting Fraction Learning Through Cooking (from nomsterchef.com)
- Practice dividing ingredients or meals into smaller pieces so children can see a visual model of fractions (i.e. cutting tortillas into thirds or quarters)
- Use measuring cups to show how many smaller cups you need to add up to one bigger cup (i.e. scooping ¼ cup 4 times is the same as scooping 1 cup)
- Point out the numerals on the measuring cups/spoons (i.e. “1 over 3 is a one-third cup”)
- Explain the math with language that emphasizes the child and at a level they can process
6/3: Chancellor’s Day No School
6/8: Clerical Day No School
6/17: Parent Association Meeting 6:00 pm
6/25: Last Day of School Full Day of Class