What We Are Learning: June 2023
MATH: In math class, we'll be learning about decimals and measuring things. We'll also be doing fun activities that help us understand math concepts better and get better at solving problems.
SOCIAL STUDIES: In social studies class, we'll be learning about immigration in a project called "Welcome to Sunnyside." We'll talk to people in our community who are immigrants and find information about resources that can help them. We'll put all the important information together in a document that can be read in different languages.
READING: In our reading class, we'll finish reading a book called "Home of the Brave" and talk more about immigration in our "Welcome to Sunnyside" project. We'll also take a test to check how good we are at reading by ourselves now that we've learned a lot this year.
WRITING: In our writing class, we'll be sharing stories we wrote that are like fairy tales, but with some changes. After that, we'll learn how to write persuasively and share information as part of our "Welcome to Sunnyside" project.
SUMMER HOMEWORK: Towards the end of the school year, families will get a packet with ideas for things to read, do, and learn over the summer. It's really important for kids to read things they enjoy and can talk to you about every day. That's the best way to keep getting better at reading and not forget what they learned in school during summer break.
Wednesday 6/7: Field Day for grades 3-5
Thursday 6/8: No School - Chancellor's Day
Friday 6/9: No School - Clerical Day
Friday 6/16: Parent Association Election AND End-of-Year Party at 6:00 pm
Monday 6/19: No School - Juneteenth
Tuesday 6/20: Year-End: Celebration of Learning at 8:45 am
Tuesday 6/27: Last day of school!
- The school day starts promptly at 8:10 a.m. Please ensure that your child is in the building and ready to learn no later than 8:05 a.m. The building opens at 7:40 a.m. for those who would like to have breakfast in the cafeteria before school starts.
- Remind: Please download the Remind app and check regularly for messages from the school and teachers.
- Communication Folders: Check communication folders daily for forms to complete and return.
- Homework: Homework is assigned each Monday and collected the following Monday, but we check daily, so please remind your child to put their packet back in the communication folder each evening.
- School Uniforms: Please send your child in the uniform shirt. Shirts can be purchased at Pins & Needles on Roosevelt Avenue or online.
Contact Your Teacher
4-408: Ms. Keeley email@example.com Text Ms. Keeley
4-408: Ms. Ballah-Lewis firstname.lastname@example.org Text Ms. Ballah-Lewis
4-409: Mr. Poli email@example.com Text Mr. Poli
4-410: Ms. Stangel firstname.lastname@example.org Text Ms. Stangel